Saturday, November 21, 2009

Gettin' Things Done...

This has been a SUPER weekend. First off, I want to share the news that I passed my PPR teacher examination that I took this week. Before I can become an educator in the state of Texas I will have to pass 2 examinations. Well Sweety-Peety...I passed the first one, which is most often termed the "hardest" of the two. So as I see it...it's 1 down and 1 to go! Moving on...
I had big plans to work on Jolea's MDO teachers gift...and for the first time in a LONG time, I actually got to start something and finish it all in the same weekend...almost the same night! I showed you the coasters in a previous post...and I must say, they turned out pretty cute. I found these whimsical mugs at Ross a while back for a very "merry" price and I wanted to dress them up with their own set of custom holiday coasters. I will be filling the cups with "cheer" and will show you that later, but for now here is the stats on what you need and how to make the coasters.

What you'll need:
1. Mod Podge ( I used glossy...cause I like the shine)
2. Scrapbook paper or napkins will do the trick
3. Foam paint brush
4. Tiles (I bought mine at home depot for $.16 cents...plain white)
5. Felt dot's or cork backing ( I would use the dots if the back of the tile is smooth...its easier)
6. Scissors or X-acto knife
7. Spray acrylic sealer (I used glossy for higher shine)
(remember these from the DIY ornaments...this stuff goes a long way)

What you'll do:
Step 1: Place tile on scrapbook paper and cut around square (you want the paper square to be just a tad bit smaller than the actual tile...so you have a nice edge that doesn't overlap the sides)

Step 2: Repeat step 1 except this time you are cutting the cork backing if you choose to use it. As with the paper, it needs to cover all of the tile but be just a tad bit smaller. Cut all the backings and set aside.

Step 2: Take foam brush and apply Mod Podge to tile.

Step 3: Apply scrapbook paper to the tile that you applied mod podge and smooth out to get rid of any bubbles. (I learned to use my finger as the best tool for this)
Step 4: Apply at least 2 coats of mod podge to your tile one layer at a time allowing 15-20 min between each application.

Step5: After both coats of the MP are dry, go outside or the place where you "get your craft on!" Here you are going to flip the tiles over (ugly side facing you) and spray them with adhesive spray (I would recommend hot glue, but the cork backing I used was so thin...I was afraid I would having melting issues!). So...spray the tile and then gently cover the back of the tile with the pre-cut piece of cork backing...just like you did the front side with the scrapbook paper. Press down around all the edges to help the glue set in...pat and press the entire area of the back of the tile for a good bond.
Step 6: After all the MP layers are dry and the cork backing adhesive is dry...then you go back to the place where you "get your craft on" and you spray the top side (the pretty side) with the spray acrylic sealer. This is going to keep your creation safe from the many kinds of cups that will sit upon them...it protects the tile and the paper from damage of the condensation of a cup, or the heat from a hot cup of coffee...blah, blah, blah.
Step 7: After you allow all your coats to dry then you are done and now have beautiful custom coasters that are PERFECT for just about anyone...I mean we all have cups at our house...and we all drink from them...therefore...its the PERFECT gift. Finish it off by stacking them in sets of 4 and tying them up with some snazzy and festive ribbon. VOILA...and MERRY CHRISTMAS Enjoy!

I was so happy with the way they turned out and I hope that Mrs. Jessica and Mrs. Jolene like them too...I also hope that Mrs. Jessica and Mrs. Jolene don't read this blog...ha!
My daughter was quite the little handful today. From the moment she woke up this morning at 7:30 am she has tested me. We went round and round about a few things today...one of which is riding in the buggy when we go somewhere. I find myself in a constant battle with her about staying in the buggy when we go places. All she wants to do is walk and "touch" everything...and for those of you with small children, you know that this can make the "quick-trip" into Walmart seem like an eternity. Even though we did butt heads today...and she did make me lose my mind with all that whining she was doing...I look at these pictures and I am melted by the love I have for this little girl. I think instead of calling her a bratty child I will just say she is very "colorful" and full of "zest"...it just sounds a lot better doesn't it? Has anyone else ever had days like these?

In other news tonite...it looks like the Wylie Bulldogs, Abilene High Eagles and the Cooper Cougars will ALL live to see another round of the playoffs. I am so proud of all 3 schools and I will be going with the boys next weekend...so they better get ready!!! How AWESOME would that be to have all three schools bring home the state championship...in 3A, 4A and 5A? That's unheard of...don't you think? My sweet friend Whitney whose hubby is the DC at ACU texted me today and they lost their game. It was a big one for them and a tough loss, but I know everyone is proud of the run they had this year...it was another great season. Its always so hard to watch "your-guy" down on the field and know that his heart is breaking at the sound of the buzzer, but we have to move on and look forward to the next season. That's all for now folks...Goodnight!

1 comment:

Whitney said...

Girlfriend, you are TOO crafty! Seriously, you need to go into business! You are going to be a GREAT teacher! Congratulations on passing your exam!

Thanks for checking you me yesterday! You are too sweet! I want to have ya'll over sometime for dinner, although I'm afraid the guys would end up drawing plays or something! Ha!