Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Christmas Part 4: Sweet St. Joseph and Dreaming of a White Christmas



"Im Dreaming of a White Christmas...just like the ones I used to know"

Ahem....wait just a minute, I have never ever in my life seen a white christmas...but I LOVE that song, so it was fitting.

Moving on to the next leg of our Christmas adventure will take us all the way to St. Joseph Michigan and the home of Aunt Penny and Uncle Mitch. Its quite funny actually because as a kid I can remember the trips that my mom would take me on all the way to Arizona. Thats where they used to live. Arizona to Michigan...now thats quite a difference.

We left bright and early on Christmas morning...5:30 in the AM to be exact. We were all thrilled and shocked that our plane would be taking off on time, considering the blizzard that had taken place the day before. Here is a picture of Jolea enjoying her on board beverage of choice...apple juice of course :)



And here she is crashed out...and looking oh so peaceful.


We didnt have one single delay or problem during out travels on Christmas Day...and that was a blessing in itself. We flew into Chicago Midway (WAY smaller than O'Hare of course...and Thank Goodness) but we still had to rent a car...Ooops...I mean a 12 passenger van (which I totally forgot to get a picture of) it was quite FUNNY actually. Thge Budget rental car kiosk had given our mini-van to someone else and they compensated us with the Big Kahuna...it was actually NICE.

We got to Penny's on Christmas evening, just in time to enjoy a sweet and delicious meal she had prepared for us. Scrumptious honey ham, taters, green beans, rolls and MUCH more. After a long day of traveling it was nice to get a full belly. Thanks Aunt Pen for all that you did for us that week :)
Here is the table...all decked out



And the PERFECT Christmas tree that her and Mitch cut down themselves at a Christmas Tree farm...how sweet is that?


After supper it was time for PRESENTS...and Jolea was thrilled. By this late in the holiday season, she had become pretty used to the idea of getting a gift just about anywhere we went. Santa was a busy man this year...and we all got some great presents.

Here is Aunt Penny and my cousin Amber...opening their gifts from Muah...


Remember in an earlier post when I mentioned "hitting the jackpot" at Hobby Lobby with gifts? Well here they are in all their glory...


It's a product that is identical to the Scentsy burner. White for my Aunt Pen because she is so "shabby chic" and Fleur De Lis for Amber...because I just loved it and had to buy it for someone special. I think they both really liked their burners...and one of the scents that Pen burned while we were there smelled so delish.

Here is the Hubs...opening some of his gifts...

A new Fossil wallet...very Nice


And some ADORABLE undies from American Eagle (he will kill me for posting this!)


Grammy is a huge fan of the Pioneer Woman...so Jolea bought the cookbook for her...maybe we will get a hot meal out of the deal!


I got the houndstooth coat I have been waiting for, a new CHI, a sports watch and lots of other GREAT stuff. THANK YOU to everyone for a Wonderful White Christmas...I will Never forget it.

Well since we spent the whole week visiting...I have lots more to talk about.

First, allow me to introduce you to Baby Logan a.k.a Logey Bear. This is Amber's little boy, and he was such a joy, such a sweet baby while we were there. My Mom has been my lifesaver keeping Jolea and my Aunt Pen plays the same role for her sweet grandbaby...Thank Goodness for Grandmothers!



He had a minor incident with the baby powder here...ha...so cute :)




We relaxed as much as we could while we were there...and these are some of the things we did and the places we went while visiting St. Joseph.

A yummy cup of coffee to get the day started...MAN...my hair is big in this picture...it must have been the weather :)

Here we are in downtown St. Jo...it was so pretty all covered in white glistening snow and the little shops were so quaint and inviting. Typically St. Joseph is a summer time tourist spot and it is perfectly located right on beautiful Lake Michigan.

Group shot in front of the Chocolate Cafe...we had a nice lunch of soups and sandwiches...but oddly enough we didnt get anything chocolate.


Sisters...Pam and Penny...all bundled up


Mommy and Jolea at the Toy Company...Jolea was in heaven with all the sweet toys and games


Jolea and the Giant Daddy...I love this picture


Mommy and Daddy on the streets of St. Joseph...Brrr... Baby its cold outside


Me and the Hubs at the Chocolate Factory enjoying a "soul warming" lunch
This was the most adorable specialty chocolate shop that was located across the street from the Chocolate Cafe...I guess these people really like their chocolate...dont they?

Step inside Kilwins Chocolate...Aunt Penny's motto for this place was "Kilwin's Will Kill Ya" I fell in love the minute we walked through the door...


Look at those apples...Ahem...we bought one...and it was the best apple I have ever put in my mouth!


CHOCOLATE!!! CHOCOLATE...EVERYWHERE!!!



Here I am standing outside in the cold waiting to go inside...Kilwin's is also famous for their ice cream...but I couldnt bear the thought of eating ice cream when it was so cold outside...so I took a picture instead.
Here is Grammy with her gigantic chocolate covered caramel apple with nuts on top...we ALL enjoyed it...it was HUGE!


Here is Jolea girl enjoying her treat...I think she liked it...ALOT
Mommy and baby girl doing the famous "cheese face" and it freaks me out how much I think we look alike here...my smile is much gummier than hers...Ugh I hate that!


We had lots of  "snow" to enjoy and we took as many outside pictures as we could stand!

Mom and Pen...again


Family Shot...again


Silly self portrait...


Jolea goin down the slide...and by the way...this didnt end well! Face first right into the snow...and she wanted to go home after that!

Penny and Mitchell...this one is my favorite :)

Me and Andy
ME!


Daddy and Daughter...look at that grin would ya?
Mommy's Snow Angel...
She was trying to "pack" a snowball like the big people...but the snow was so fine and dusty it was hard to roll a good ball.
Penny Lynn...looks like she has a snowball ready to aim and fire!
Look at all the beautiful snow covered scenery we were blessed with!





I LOVE THIS ONE...
These pictures were from our second snow day. We were determined to build a snowman before we left Michigan...and we DID...Thanks to Andy's hard work! He was the cutest little "Frosty" ever and it was such a neat thing to share with my family!


Beautiful Blue Skies were showing on this day...the snow was sparkling and it was a perfect moment.


Daddy and his princess...


Mommy on the vintage sled...

Mommy and Jolea

Here is Daddy working on Frosty's bottom :)

The finished product

So there wasnt a corn-cob pipe or a button nose or two eyes made out of coal...but he still turned out CUTE!

His red grin was made out of hot tamales candy...clever thinking Aunt Penny :)

One night we all loaded into the van and headed to a local italian restaurant called Papa Vino's. It was comparable to Johnny Carino's and my favorite part of the meal was the bruschetta bread and the salad. They have a dressing that is to-die-for and we bought 6 bottles to bring home with us! I also enjoyed a refreshing peach bellini with Grammy! Jolea Dru was such an angel while we were eating out! I was very proud of her!

Aunt Pen and Sweet Jolea Girl...

Girls will be girls...

The 2 LOVES of my life...

The Snyder's

Mom and Daughter

What a silly kid...

Yummy Peach Bellini's

Papa Vino's salad...
Papa Vino's Bruschetta Bread...
In between our relaxing days of playing in the snow...we did a little shopping where I scored these bad boys...

At a fabulous TJ Maxx kind of price!

The boys spent one whole day here...

doing a little gambling! Andy and I are too poor for much gambling...but I think they had a GREAT time and they ate at a buffet that was out of this world!

The girls also had a date to the movies to see this...

We all really liked it...except I would have hoped for a much better ending. My Aunt Penny absolutely loves the movies, but she never has the time or the company to go with! Therefore this was my special treat to her...and I think she had a good time...I know I did!

It was a Christmas to remember...thats for sure...and there are so many things that I havent even mentioned. We dont get to see Aunt Pen very often and I really enjoyed my time with her and catching up. Her and Mitch opened up their hearts and their home to us this holiday season and we are so Thankful for the memories we got to make. Jolea may never see snow like that again...but we will always have these pictures to remind her!

This trip is still far from over...up next...a day in Chicago on the Magnificent Mile! Stay Tuned!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Loved your blog! You sure know how to capture it all!

Hannah S. said...

Goodness! You guys have been BUSY. Love all the pics!