Sunday, January 31, 2010

Christmas Part 5: A Day in the Windy City

I cannot believe it’s almost February…and I still haven’t finished posting about our mini trip to Chicago while we were on Christmas vacation in Michigan. I have always wanted to travel somewhere like New York or Chicago simply because I have never been a big city girl, nor have I ever spent much time in a big city kind of world. The hustle and the bustle of Michigan Avenue in Chicago was a culture shock to me. Michigan Avenue is also known as The Magnificent Mile…and my favorite TV show host Oprah has Harpo Studios located just minutes from where we stayed. Everywhere the eye could see…there were people…people everywhere. In Texas, when you walk down the street you make eye contact, you nod your head or say hello…right? No way, no how in Chicago…it was like out of sight out of mind…pay no attention to your neighbor on the sidewalk…just act as if they don’t exist! This was totally strange…for a born and raised Texas girl. I couldn’t get over how “unfriendly” the people seemed, but I’m sure they could get over how “overly” friendly Texans can be! Anyhow, the experience was memorable that is for sure…and I think I prefer small West Texas living any day of the week. The shopping was OVERWHELMING…every store was at least 2 or 3 stories tall…and packed to the brim with merchandise. We were only in Chicago for 24 hours so I chose only to hit the stores that are truly my favorite. I could have stayed in any one single store for a couple of hours…no doubt…but we were merely skimming the surface and moving on to the next place. The prices were a little out of my budget, but it sure was fun walking around and looking at such a beautiful city. The weather was just amazing too…it was a light fluffy snow for most of the day, but surprisingly the temperatures were not too cold. The streets and the windows were all still decked out for Christmas…and it kept the holiday spirit lingering. Here are some of my favorite shots from our whirlwing Chicago adventure :)
Mom and Penny at Starbucks...
Me and the Hubs...enjoying our favorite White Chocolate Mocha's...
Beautiful snow covered Chicago...
Where all the EXCITEMENT happens...
View from the lobby of our hotel...The Omni (where Oprah puts all of her guests!)
View from our room in the Omni...
The only picture I got of all three of us...and Aunt Penny's eyes are shut :(
One of my favorites...Forever 21...it was GIGANTIC...
Shopping Sisters...
Historic Water Tower...
Up Close...
This was a HUGE Christmas tree all lit up outside of a shopping plaza...it was so pretty all lit up while the snow fell :)
YUMMY...Chicago Pizza...
The Pizza Pie...
Pen and Mitch...
Grammy and Poppy...
Andy and Mitchel...if you are wondering where I was...I didnt get to go to Giordano's because I had a 2 year old that was being slightly out of hand...so I stayed with her in the hotel room :(

There you have it...a very quick review of our mini trip to Chicago! There are so many things that have happened between now and then...and I am so behind on blogging. Student teaching is going AWESOME...and I ADORE my cooperating teacher. I will catch you up on that just as soon as I can :)

1 comment:

M'chelle said...

Looks and sounds like you all had a GREAT trip! I have really enjoyed keeping up with y'all through the blog world and mean to leave comments more often. Sorry I haven't! :( Love the new design too! :)