Friday, August 28, 2009

Football Friday Nights...

Tonight is the night that football fans all over West Texas have waited for...its High School Football Friday Night. It's what happens tonight that best defines most communities in West Texas. Life revolves around football around here and some small towns virtually shut down on Friday night, whether their team is good or bad. I used to think that kind of thing only happened "in the movie" but I have lived in and traveled to those towns that are "closed and gone to the game!" The media coverage and attention that West Texas football gets is amazing and for those people who do not live here, they probably have a hard time understanding all the hype. Those who play it, coach it, cover it and watch it have a hard time explaining to those outside of West Texas why it matters so much...but it does! Football is just-a-game, but when you are the coach's wife, its more than just-a-game. They pour their heart and soul, blood, sweat and tears into every practice...and its far more than just a game come 7:30 on a Friday night.

It has been a tradition of mine since Andy's first season as a coach, to send him with something "sweet" every Friday for the coaching staff. The players are always well taken care of by the cheerleaders, the booster club, girlfriends and parents so I decided I would do my part to take care of the coaches. Today I sent him with a heaping batch of cookies...oatmeal raisin, chocolate chip and peanut butter cup!

I made a quick trip into Cadillac Style today in hopes that I would be able to find cute shirts for Jolea and I tonight...guess what...I was in luck! They gave me awesome service too...she didn't have any on hand, but she went in the back and pressed two shirts for me...right there on the spot! Aren't they cute? And we are matchy-matchy too!

Jolea had her first "real" pep-rally experience today...and I would say she enjoyed herself...it took the "pep right out of her!"

I was shocked at how "over-the-top" the pep-rally was for Hawley being such a small town, but it was actually pretty neat and those cheerleaders had put a lot of work and thought into it. The theme was "Welcome to the Jungle"...but can you believe I forgot to take my camera in with me?
Jolea refused to take a nap this afternoon (...again) before we went to Hawley, so as we speak... (4:50 pm) she is sleeping which could end up being a good thing for me tonight when we are at the game. Hopefully she wont be grumpy. Its really hard to keep her occupied for a whole football game, especially without any back-up!
With all that said and done, Best of Luck tonight to anyone out there with a coach or player on the field...or anyone else that is involved in this West Texas Legacy, also known as the great game of football. Play hard and travel safe.

3 comments:

Whitney said...

Thanks for the sweet text last night! FNF ROCKS! I feel lost not going to a game tonight and we've been here 3 years! Good luck to y'all! I love it! I get chills just thinking about it!

Nap mat... buy one at Walmart, buy cute material and have someone sew it up one side and across top and have it monogrammed. Then you can do the same for a pillow. I bought a pink and brown toile material for the mat and brown material for the pillow and had them monogrammed with Morgan's name. $8 material, $5 monogramming. Kids Village has cute ones but they are $59. Stacey Doby sells back packs and nap mats too! We have one like you showed in your picture... black with zebra and Morgan in pink. I bought it off e-bay.

Lunch box... oh' we must need to make a trip to Canton!!!!!!!!!!! Kennedy's is so cute... pink and white damask with a black K on it, all in oil cloth so it wipes off easily. I think I paid $12. Stacey Doby sells those too or you can find them on-line to match the backpacks. I'll see if I can find the site I bought Morgan's from and let you know. Do you know Stacy? I don't know her and haven't bought mine from her, but she sells ones just like I've bought.

Whitney said...

When I went in Kids Village a few weeks ago, they had some cute lunch boxes. I think they were $14. You might try Suprises too! My Mom sews and I'm sure she wouldn't mind sewing you up a nap mat cover. Monogrammming makes everything cute... I just can't bring myself to pay $50 for a nap mat!

Lorie said...

How cute! I bet the coaches LOVE you!